Embracing Small Businesses
How to Start a Sole Proprietor Software Development Company in the Ruby Valley
- Contact the Secretary of State on-line at http://sos.mt.gov/business/toolkit and click on “Register a Domestic Business”. Follow the simple instructions. It costs $20 to register a sole proprietorship and create an assumed business name. You can also take care of your Workman’s Comp from this website.
- After you’ve received confirmation of your assumed business name,
– Contact the IRS to apply for your EIN (Employer Identification Number),
– If your business will be located within the town limits of Sheridan or Twin Bridges, contact the city clerk to register your business. There is an annual business license fee of about $25-30.
- Contact your insurance agent to obtain business insurance.
- Take care of getting your domain name registered and start working on your website.
- If you would like to join the local chamber, contact the Greater Ruby Valley Chamber of Commerce & Agriculture for a membership.
Have you got broadband up there yet?
Yet bet! Within the town limits of Twin Bridges, Sheridan, Silver Star, Laurin, Alder and Virginia City, and areas adjacent to Highway 287, 3 Rivers Communications provides high-speed fiber-optic cable internet. It is extremely reliable and fast. (Most residents say it’s a big improvement over services available in Dillon, Butte and Bozeman.) Fiber-optic cable has also been laid to certain higher density housing areas in the Ruby Valley. Please call 3 Rivers Communications for more information about fiber-optic cable service areas.